Sunday, May 15, 2011

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished


I'm not exactly sure why, but I've been putting off the conclusion to this story for longer than I anticipated. I think a part of me felt that if I concluded the story telling, the story would end. That is the last thing I want. I'm wrong by the way, this was the jump start to something much greater than I could have imagined.

I'll start where I left off.
Actually back tracking slightly. I find the easiest to follow television shows, recap previous events that have something to do with the upcoming storyline so I'll do just that.


- Disgruntled employee exposes the center for having illegal foreigners working. Although this is in fact true, I found while I was wandering town and running into other Mzungus (volunteers, travellers, aimless wanderers) that it is a general understanding...if you are there to volunteer...if anyone of authority asks you are simply a tourist... Unfortunately the country makes it so difficult for anyone to help. The people of Kenya are not at fault. Every person I met except for the select one, has been an absolute joy often shared an enlightening conversation. There are people at the top of the political food chain who have unfortunately been bitten by the corruption bug. I honestly believe that the foundation would continue to go unbothered for quite sometime if these events had not occurred. I believe the government has known about our operation for quite some time, but they were always willing to turn a blind eye because they knew that what we were doing was noble and for the benefit of their country. The ill-fated turn of events was brought about by a  few different key factors. Pride...(which I am guilty of more than most...but I'm working on it) and a vindictive, hell-bent drive. Someone so blinded by self-righteousness and pride that he fails to see the collateral damage that will undoubtedly unfold if he sees his "cause" through. Now the only thing he had to do was tip off the press. In Kenya, like in America, the press is, for the most part, ruthless. A good story is a good story regardless of whose lives or reputations are maimed in the process. The fact that the press made this such a huge story with their own disgusting twists and lies, suddenly turned the attention of the public to the government. Why weren't the authorities doing something about the illegal foreigners "working" in their homeland.

Sound familiar?? I'm Mexican American ( with a lot of european influence), but as you know I look whiter than Wonderbread...ironically I traveled all the way to Africa just to be viewed as an Undocumented worker...you have to find the humor in that.

I feel as though the government had to make an example of us...and that is exactly what happened.

-If you missed the previous episode of this story, I didn't get caught. The day that immigration came to our center to lay down their iron fist, I was in a little remote village hours out of town participating in a famine feed and picking up a great deal of children from their tribes, whom they were visiting during Easter Holiday.


How did I get so lucky you ask? You don't even know the half of it....
 Flash forward to me sitting in a Cafe in town after having taken a private minibus to town to pose as a tourist.
Although I had one of the older kids (NDegwa) accompany me, I was alone at this particular moment. NDegwa had gone looking for a hotel room for me to stay in. It wasn't safe for me to be running around in public considering the idea that the authorities confiscated not only passports (which for some strange reason I actually took with me to the village...luck) but they also confiscated all of our employee documents...including a copy of my passport and a document stating I was an employee. As far as we know....They know I'm on the grid...I have to lay low.
As I am sitting there frantically on my laptop trying to formulate a plot to ensure my freedom I feel a shadow hovering over me. I look up and I see a tall dark figure. The man had to be at least 6'2", he was in all black, black sports coat, black collard shirts, black slacks and black dress shoes. He looked like a reverend of some sort and was holding a book. He leaned down towards me ever so slightly and extended his hand for me to shake...so of course in a state of utter confusion...I shook it. He gives me a rock solid look in the eyes and in an African accent says "you are blessed my friend...very very blessed." Then he walked over to a table across the cafe, sat down and began to read. I've never seen this man before in my life. As with most experiences I'd faced thus far I found myself once more without words. I didn't know how to react to this. Who was this guy?

NDegwa returns and I immediately inform him of this man at the cafe and he dives into a panic. He suspects this guy may be either with the press, with the authorities or with the Jury overseeing our case. Our immediate assumptions is "S*it...he knows who I am. I have to get out of here" In a frenzied hurry, I pick up all of my belongings and follow NDegwa to a hotel just a few minutes from our current location. I get settled in and he warns me "do not go back there, they will be looking for you"

So here I am, in my hotel room....in DESPERATE need of a means of international communication, and the lingering terror of walking outside, being recognized and being arrested. I was put in a very special position. Why am I the only one that got away? I don't know, but I've stopped blaming myself at this point and I've seen it as an opportunity...I can't waste my freedom blaming myself. I'm the only one who can do something about this. My safety...first and foremost...I'm of no use to these kids behind bars.

I'm feeling a little thirsty at this point so I decide to very cautiously walk next door to get some water and also inquire about Cyber Cafe's in the area. I need to get online.
I smoothly make my way next door and as it turns out...the building across the street is exactly what I was looking for. I hurry over to the cyber cafe..walk into the dark building, up the staircase and immediately to the left.
"Can I use this computer?"
He nods
I sit down. I'm online. My first and really only idea is..I have to get my sister online, she knows a bit of the backstory because of our recent conversations and she would instantly know the severity of the situation. "You need to get out of the country in the next 24-48 hours...or you aren't leaving the country" Those words from Maddie echoed in my head like an annoying song you aren't too fond of but know all of the words to because of it's catchy nature.

I go onto my facebook

"I'm in some trouble, I really need some help. If you get this please call my sister and have her go online....Please." - April 29th 4:46 AM   . 2:26 PM - Kenya

"Stephanie's number is 760*******...she can hate me later for posting that on facebook... Please everyone that reads this blow her phone up right now...tell her Christian says it's an emergency. please" April 29th 6:16 AM    4:16 PM - Kenya

While I am online, I'm thoroughly overwhelmed with gratitude at the immediate action taken by my friends. As I wait, I begin to construct a number of emails. At this point I don't know what will happen to me so I have to prepare. I write several letters on my computer to loved ones, acquaintances, co workers, friends and save them onto my laptop...Just.In.Case. It felt like I was writing my will.


"Can't I just go to the embassy?"
"What will you do if they detain you before you get to the embassy...you do not have the same rights you have in your country" 
Words from my friends that really brought an understanding to what I was facing.


"She got through, thank you everyone" April 29th 6:57AM...4:57PM- Kenya


Finally, Stephanie logs on. We need to find out if I need to purchase another return ticket, if I can move my return date to tomorrow and how much our conclusion will cost. My friend Ron, who is online at the time as well,does a better job of calming her down than I . At this point I'm almost unphased. I still to this moment can't believe this is happening. It isn't because I dont comprehend how serious this is...it's actually quite the opposite...I'm so overwhelmed with all sorts of emotions....so much so that I don't actually know how to react accordingly. So I stay calm. Maybe it's that California state of mind kicking in, but I am calm and assertive throughout.

The cyber cafe is getting ready to close. I give her and Ron clear cut instructions. There is nothing I can do right now except stay out of prison....oh boy...

 I will have to wait until the next morning to find out if....and when I can come home. I spend the rest of my day laying in bed, listening to music...and thinking...thinking myself to the point of exhaustion....so much so that I fall asleep....


I wake up fully clothed, splash my face with water, brush my teeth and head out the door. First I go to the shop next door and buy a cell phone....possibly my last day in Kenya and I'm buying a cellphone...well better late than never. I realized when I woke up that I could have my sister contact me through Skype on my Kenyan cell phone. I then go across the street and take my seat and computer from the day before.


Stephanie Ceja - "christian please get a hold of me as soon as you can ill be online on and off all day... as of right now the soonest i can fly you back is on sunday.. so your gonna have to lay low til then..but im trying other options.. so lets just see.. i love you soo much" April 29th 12:42 PM. 10:42 PM - Kenya

I respond
"This place closes at 7pm....9 AM your time. So I will be on throughout the day checking in. If you like, forward me the flight information. I am sneaking into the center tonight after 5 (government officials aren't on duty after that time) to say goodbye to the kids and help them plan for being on their own. I believe everything will be fine, We are leaving the oldest kids in charge until we can find out what to do...time to grow up I guess. I'll be doing work for the foundation when I get home to assure that everything here is taken care of."

I talk to my sister after hours of waiting on the computer and she informs me that she thinks she found a ticket for the next day but will not know until 9 AM her time....7PM my time...So I make arrangements with her. She is to call me on my Kenyan cell phone the moment she knows of my departure time.

I go to back to the center with my friend Gaurav. Probably a stupid stupid move......look...I realize this...I usually have no defense in regards to my stupid behavior, but we knew this had to be done. I have a minibus drop me off about a half a mile away. I walk down a backroad and through the farm of the foundation. I meet with the kids and ask to speak to the eldest kids privately. While I am sitting in my old empty room I realize something. I can't find my phone. My sister is supposed to call me at any moment and I can't find my phone. NDegwa walks into the room along with 5 other kids ranging from 16-18 years old. One of them recieves a call during our meeting...from my phone....someone in town found my phone..and is now delivering it to where I am....
What luck....

I continue explaining the situation to the kids. We have no other option...they are in charge now...they have to grow up in the next 5 minutes.

I have to leave the center promptly after arranging finances and saying my goodbyes. Back to the hotel until I recieve the call from my sister....


My flight is at 4:30 Pm the next day....I should be relieved...but I'm not completely out of the woods yet. She messages me online moments later while Im at the center waiting...

"S*it Christian, I F*cked up. Do you have any money in that account? I put your card on file instead of mine and the charge is $550"

F*CK.....

"...no...I don't I have maybe 100 dollars in that account...."

"Sh*t! I don't have enough time to go to the bank and deposit the money and there were only 10 seats left of the plane"

I don't know what possessed me to...but I check my account....

"steph....we're going to be ok"

"no, I'm sorry!...I don't know what to do!"

"no..no steph, you don't understand...I don't know how...or who...but there was a 500 deposit into that account a few days before this all happened....I'll be home Tuesday Morning"


My head spins with confusion and yet a calming sense of relief..I'm not afraid anymore...all of those petty insecurities I used to have...disappeared.....someone...something...is looking out for me. My friends in Kenya call me Blessed Boy....Would they be wrong?

And who was that guy I shook hands with at the cafe...what does he know that I don't....

The next early morning we take a bus back to Nairobi, Kenya. This is where my plane departs from. As I'm on the bus looking out the window I know this will be my last time looking at these skies for a while. Not forever though. I'm not done. I can't be.

If life itself was in human form, I like to believe it has a heart.... a good heart. The universe has a way of balancing things...


There has been a phrase repeated to me ever since I got back. I'd heard it before but never has it rung with such truth...

No good deed goes unpunished
.....and personally......I could care less.....

2 comments:

  1. Wow Christian. Its amazing what you are doing, and what you went through. I've always known you have an old soul, but I do believe you are blessed. so glad you are safe and still able to help, even if from afar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That man in black was speaking 100% truth. There is no such thing as luck. You surely are blessed from the sounds of this incredible story.

    ReplyDelete