Saturday, April 23, 2011

April 23rd a Moment of clarity?

.

Today I learned a new word. Mzungu. Literally means white person. (<---- correction...It actually means Aimless wanderer...which is surprisingly fitting...)   As I was walking through the puddle filled streets of Kenya looking down at my feet and skipping from one piece of risen road to the next on this lightly rain ridden day with Gaurav and Katy, I thought to myself  "I can't remember the last time I was this perpetually happy." Sure moods come and go and sure sometimes the feelings of frustration and sometimes confusion are overwhelming, but the underlying feeling of it all is true happiness. The unique thing about this particular feeling of happiness is that it wasn't because of a new found spark with the opposite sex or because I came into some money, or even because I was surrounded by loved ones. it was something so different from all of that. Don't get me wrong those are all absolutely nonpareil.....You know what?...it just came to me. It was absolute clarity. I know it won't last, it never does, I won't be greedy with it, but I will wholeheartedly cherish it and take advantage of this weightless feeling. I believe the Day and I share the same feeling, it seems the sun is setting later today almost as if to say "Stick around, some real feelings might surface". It's one of those feelings, the breaths I take seem fuller, and not like I'm struggling to gasp for air...no...it's as though every breath is a gulp of cold water and I don't think this world could ever satiate this thirst I have for more. For the love of God, please more. I've developed a real friendship here with the people I've met. Not the kind of typical friendship you develop out of loneliness or lack or resources...because you think that this person will be a benefactor in your life's journey, but simply a mutual exchange of happy energy. I don't know how else to describe it. There are few people in my life who have ever really made me feel that way. Probably reading this right now...I have a set of rules when starting a new relationship, whether it's a friendship or a promiscuous acquaintance...;

1. I won't be taken hostage, and I don't take hostages

2. I don't need to be taken care of, and I'm not in the position to take care of anyone

3. I'm not in the position to complete anyone......and I don't need anyone to complete me

That being said, I believe that love should be used in abundance. I know that most people say to be careful with it, don't throw it around, but for me I say throw it around, flood the streets with it....but never, ever abuse it. I'll continue with my thoughts on that later.

So Katy, Guarav and I went into town today to get some work done. Sometimes there is so much going on at the center that it's absolutely necessary to escape from the chaos to get some online work done.. We usually convene at a local cafe and have a smoothie or two. No distractions, no loud noises, just work. Today we get to our usual location and come to find out it is closed for Easter weekend. I didn't expect this country to be so religious, but it's nice to see people still believe it something. It doesn't really matter to me what it is ,but with faith comes hope and with hope comes peace of mind....that's all we are all searching for anyway right?
We walk to this Cyber Cafe a few doors down and try for about 20 minutes to get our laptops to work there , but no cigar. It seems this day did not want us to worry ourselves with work for most of the day, it wanted adventure and discovery for us. It wasn't exactly a safari, but even just a stroll through a less than familiar town seemed to feed the soul somehow. We stopped at a restaurant to eat and then went into the "sports pub" next door to watch the Soccer game. Something so simple yet how often something like that is taken for granted. Soccer has been in my life for the greater part of it. Frankly, the sport has had a greater impact on me that I had thought. Some of the best connections and bonds I've created have been established because of the sport. I guess I owe a great deal to it. Even there in the pub as Man.U. scored the only goal in the final 3 minutes of the game, the crowd (and what seemed like the entire building) roared, whether it was out of glory, utter disappointment or just a bystander startled by the sudden increase in human volume.... we all shared the tiniest of moments where all of our hearts skipped a beat.

2 comments:

  1. Made me smile- A few times. Glad you're happy Christian! Miss you Man. =D

    P.S. I like your writing style/voice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christian - we really were just acquaintances in high school, and I've caught glimpses on facebook of the kinds of things you're up to. The work that you're doing is very admirable, and it sounds like you're learning a lot about yourself and how the world SHOULD work. I think you've been asking some very big and serious questions...and it sounds like you're getting some answers.

    Good luck in all that you do, and keep up the wonderful work - with the orphanage and spiritually as well.

    ReplyDelete